Stage 2 – 35km Criterium Stage – Eastern Park, Geelong
By Marianne Werz O'Brien
The Australian women continue to dominate this race, and once again all three
riders on the podium today are Aussies. Six of the top ten placers were
Australian, with Miho Oki of Japan breaking in as the highest placed non-local.
Dual Australian Road Champion Oenone Wood took top honors this stage, while
Katie Mactier retains the leader's jersey.
The GC has been shuffled a bit as a result. Oenone Wood moved up three slots
to 2nd GC with her effort, Katherine Bates moved up into 3rd while T-Mobile’s
Dede Barry and Kristin Armstrong retain 9th and 10th place. In the GC, seven of
the top ten placers are Australian.
Stage 3, the Barwon Heads Road Circuit, a 77.5km stage- five laps of a
15.5km coastal road circuit - with the start finish at Barwon Heads south of
Geelong, making this the most demanding day of racing yet.
1. Oenone WOOD (AUS – Aus Institute of Sport) 55:17
2. Katherine BATES (AUS - NSWIS) s.t.
3. Rochelle GILMORE (AUS – Team SATS) s.t.
4. Miho OKI (JPN) s.t.
5. Sarah ULMER (NZL) s.t.
6. Nicole FREEDMAN (ISR – World Team) s.t.
7. Katie MACTIER (AUS – Jayco) s.t.
8. Rosalind REEKIE-MAY (NZL) s.t.
9. Alison WRIGHT (AUS - Nobili / Fanini) s.t.
10. Jessica RIDDER (AUS – FRF Couriers) s.t.
General Classification after Stage 2
1. Katie MACTIER (AUS – Jayco) 1:05:35
2. Oenone WOOD @ 04sec
3. Katherine BATES @ 05sec
4. Louise YAXLEY (AUS – JAYCO) @ 09sec
5. Sara CARRIGAN (AUS – Qld Academy of Sport) @ 21sec
6. Kathryn WATT (AUS – Freedom Machine) @ 22sec
7. Sarah ULMER (NZL) @ 25sec
8. Margaret HEMSLEY (AUS – Team Nurnberger) @ 26sec
9. Deirdre BARRY (USA – T Mobile) @ 26sec
10. Kristin ARMSTRONG (USA – T Mobile) @ 27sec
Sprints Classification after Stage 2
1 Katie Mactier (Aus) Jayco 3 pts
1 Hayley Rutherford (Aus) Nobili-Fanini 3
3 Katherine Bates (Aus) NSWIS 2
3 Sara Carrigan (Aus) QAS 2
5 Deirdre Barry (USA) T-Mobile 1
5 Petra Rossner (Ger) Nürnberger 1
Thanks to Cycling Australia.