By Mapei's Press Release:
Bernhard Eisel gained today on home ground his first victory as a professional winning the 15th International “Select” Radclassic Gleisdorf race of 162 kilometres.
The 21 year old MAPEI-Quick Step Young Riders Group athlete, in his second year as a professional, won the race at an average speed of 42,5 kilometres per hour beating during the final sprint Scherzer Ralph of the ELK-Haus team and the Slovenian (1) rider Glajza Robert of the Podbrezova team who finished just 3” behind the winner.
The race that took place in and around Graz was decided 20 kilometres from the finish line, when at the head of the platoon a group of 13 counter attackers was formed; during the last up hill section, 10 kilometres from the finish, Eisel, Scherzer and Glazja started to increase the pace of the race shortly leaving behind them the rest of the group. During the slightly downhill final sprint Eisel didn’t have any difficulty in getting the better of his two breakaway companions.
Thanks to today’s win, Eisel is also leading the special Austrian Cup Challenge.
Results - Top 10 Places:
1. Bernhard Eisel (Aut -Mapei Quick Step Espoirs) - 3h49'17";
2. Ralph Scherzer (Aut - Elk Haus Radteam) - at 1"
3. Robert Glajza (Svk - ZP Sport Podbrezová) - at 3"
4. Arnold Eisel (Aut - Elk Haus Radteam) - at 10"
5. Samuel Faruhn (Slo - Hit Casinos-Marchiol Nova Gorica) - at 12"
6. Uros Silar (Slo - Sava Kranj) - s.t.
7. Frazer McMaster (NZl - Volksbank-Ideal) - s.t.
8. Radoslav Rogina (Slo - Perutnina Ptuj-Krka Telekom) - at 14"
9. Hannes Hempel (Aut - Team Gericom Bike Drive) - at 17"
10. Jochen Summer (Aut - Volksbank Ideal) - at 43"
(1) = Actually Mr. Glajza is from Slovakia, not Slovenia