|The UCI-1.2 race, disputed on Wednesday afternoon in North-Western Italy, turned into a Panaria-Fiordo showdown, with Figueras winning and Russia's Zakirov taking third.
Another Panaria rider in the spotlight was - guessed who ? Yes, it was Julio Alberto Pérez Cuapio, who launched his attack on the Passo Bocchetta climb, but was later caught and dropped by his two teammates and Shefer, who made it to the finish line.
Previoulsy the race had been featured by another breakaway, containing Italo-British Max Sciandri (Lampre-Daikin), as well as teammate Gabriele Missaglia and Fortunato Baliani of the Cage Maglierie-Olmo squad. The trio went clear at the km. 15 mark and stayed clear until some 60 km. to the finish line. Paolo Bettini didn't finish the race, while Gilberto Simoni ranked sixteenth.
After this further showdown by Pèrez Cuapio, surprising Zakirov and especially Figueras, you'd better expect more good things from the Reverberi boys trio the coming Giro too.
RESULTS - TOP 10 PLACES:
1. Giuliano Figueras (Ita - Panaria-Fiordo) - 4h52'20"
2. Alexandre Schefer (Kaz - Alessio) - s.t.
3. Faat Zakirov (Rus - Panaria-Fiordo) - at 6"
4. Uros Murn (Slo - Mobilvetta-Formaggi Trentini) - at 1'02"
5. Gerhard Trampusch (Aut - Mapei-Quick Step) - s.t.
6. Massimilano Gentili (Ita - Acqua & Sapone-C.Tollo) - s.t.
7. Tadej Valjavec (Slo - Fassa-Bortolo) - s.t.
8. Fausto Dotti (Ita - Cage Maglierie-Olmo) - s.t.
9. Luca Mazzanti (Ita - Mercatone Uno) - s.t.
10. Laurent Dufaux (Swi - Alessio) - s.t.