Italy’s Dario Benenati is the first rider to wear to “maglia rosa” in the 33rd “Baby Giro”. The Sicliian won on friday the 6.1-km. prologue around Maerne di Martellago in the Veneto region, with a six-second margin over Cyclocross Under 23 World Champion, Enrico Franzoi of Mogliano Veneto town, who showed he can do well on the road too. Ninth place finisher Aaron Kemps was the best-placed Aussie.
Dario Benenati, fourth placed in the 1999 World Championships ITT as a junior, got his first victory as an Under 23, coming after two troubled seasons marked by knee probs, and will be defending his leadership position in tomorrow’s Stage One, going from Martellago to Azzano Decimo over 151.5 km.
One of the main favourite to take the stage is Benenati's teammate Murilo Fischer, the Brazilian sprinter that displayed his excellent condition by taking fourth in the prologue. Italians Paride Grillo, Mirko Lorenzetto, Danilo Napolitano should be his main rivals.
PROLOGUE – MAERNE ITT, 6.1KM – TOP 15 PLACES:
1. Dario Benenati (Ita - Ima-Moro-Brugnotto-Veneta Cucine) - 07'07" (51.428 km/h)
2. Enrico Franzoi (Ita - UC Trevigiani) - at 06"
3. Luca Celli (Ita - Reda) - s.t.
4. Murilo Fischer (Bra - Ima-Moro-Brugnotto-Veneta Cucine) - at 08"
5. David Boucher (Bel - Go Pass ABX) - at 09"
6. Daniele Masolino (Ita - VC Bassano) - s.t.
7. Stefano Brunelli (Ita - Reda) - at 10"
8. Volodymyr Starchyk (Ukr - VC Bassano) - at 11"
9. Aaron Kemps (Aus – AIS Mapei) - s.t.
10. Alessandro Ballan (Ita - Modall Faresin Cyber Team) - at 12"
11. Kiril Goloubev (Rus - Promociclo) - at 13"
12. Davide Bragazzi (Ita - Italfine Podenzano) - s.t.
13. Paride Grillo (Ita - Pagnoncelli) - at 15"
14. Andris Reiss (Lat - Pagnoncelli) - s.t.
15. Daniele Colli (Ita - Zalf Fior) - at 16"
More later ...