2012 Ladies Tour of Qatar - Stage 1
Specialized-Lululemon and GreenEdge-AIS dominate first stage but Dutch Kirsten Wild takes the win. Hosking and Van Dijk second and third.
Kirsten Wild (AA Drink) riding for the Dutch national team has won the first stage in the 2012 Ladies Tour of Qatar. In the 97 km
stage from Camel Race Track to Al Khor Corniche she was the best of a seven rider break beating three Specialized-Lululemon and three GreenEdge-AIS riders in the sprint. Chloe Hosking finished in second with defending champion Ellen van Dijk in third. Germans Judith Arndt and Trixi Worrack rounded off the top five.
89 riders started the first stage on the Camel Race Track just outside Doha. The stage was extremely windy and perfect for echelons. After only 20 km of 97 in total eleven riders managed to break away. Shortly after only seven were left with Ellen van Dijk, Trixi Worrack, Chloe Hosking (Specialized-Lululemon), Judith Arndt, Loes Gunnewijk, Alexis Rhodes (GreenEdge-AIS) and Kirsten Wild (The Netherlands/AA Drink).
Behind the pack broke into several groups with 12 women forming the first chasing group including Monia Baccaille, Elena Cecchini, Tatiana Guderzo, Alessandro Borchi (MCipollini), Charlotte Becker (Specialized-Lululemon), Jessie MacLean, Amanda Spratt (GreenEdge-AIS), Regina Bruins (Skil-1t4i), Dongyan Huang (China), (MCipollini), Liesbet de Vocht, Sarah Düster and Iris Slappendel (Rabobank).
After 61 km the gap of the seven was 1.30 on the first chasing group. In the meantime Arndt and Wild claimed respectively the first and second boni sprint. After heading back south to Al Korniche the pace slowed down due to the head-wind. The gap between the two groups dropped 55 seconds with 20 km to go. Within the final 20 km the chasing group seemed to give up as the gap increased to 1.25 with 10 km to go and to two minutes with 5 km to go.
In the last kilometers Van Dijk, Gunnewijk and Wild tried to surprise the others but it turned out in a sprint. Despite Specialized and GreenEdge had both three riders in front it was Kirsten Wild claiming the first stage and the overall leaders jersey. Wild is no stranger in Qatar having won the Tour already in 2009.
1. WILD Kirsten NETHERLANDS 2h 16' 50"
2. HOSKING Chloe TEAM SPECIALIZED LULULEMON + 00' 00"
3. VAN DIJK Ellen TEAM SPECIALIZED LULULEMON + 00' 00"
4. ARNDT Judith GREENEDGE - AIS 2h 16' 50" + 00' 00"
5. WORRACK Trixi TEAM SPECIALIZED LULULEMON + 00' 00"
6. GUNNEWIJK Loes GREENEDGE - AIS + 00' 00"
7. RHODES Alexis GREENEDGE - AIS + 00' 00"
8. BACCAILLE Monia MCIPOLLINI GIAMBENINI + 02' 16"
9. BECKER Charlotte TEAM SPECIALIZED LULULEMON + 02' 16"
10. MACLEAN Jessie GREENEDGE - AIS + 02' 16"
11. BRUINS Regina SKIL-1t4i + 02' 16"
12. HUANG Dongyan CHINA CHONGMING-GIANT + 02' 16"
13. CECCHINI Elena MCIPOLLINI GIAMBENINI + 02' 16"
14. DE VOCHT Liesbeth STICHTING RABO WOMEN + 02' 16"
15. DÜSTER Sarah STICHTING RABO WOMEN + 02' 16"
16. SLAPPENDEL Iris STICHTING RABO WOMEN + 02' 16"
17. GUDERZO Tatiana MCIPOLLINI GIAMBENINI + 02' 16"
18. BORCHI Alessandra MCIPOLLINI GIAMBENINI + 02' 16"
19. SPRATT Amanda GREENEDGE - AIS + 02' 16"
20. YUAN Yunyun CHINA CHONGMING-GIANT + 13' 45"
Celebrating our tenth year!
Support the Daily Peloton