Women's World Cup: Tour of Chongming Island
HTC takes a one-three. Ina Teutenberg succesfully defends title. German wins bunch sprint over Lizzie Armitstead and Charlotte Becker.
Ina-Yoko Teutenberg (HTC-Highroad) successfully defended her title in the Tour of Chongming Island World Cup. The German sprinter was the fastest in the 136.6 kilometre event over Britain's Lizzie Armitstead and teammate Charlotte Becker. Annemiek van Vleuten and Rasa Leleivyte rounded off the top five. Due to her fourth place Tour of Flanders winner Van Vleuten takes back the World Cup jersey from Marianne Vos who didn't travel to China to defend her World Cup lead.
The race was animated by a long break of Valentina Bastianelli (Vaiano-Solaristech) gaining 4.45 on the peloton at one point in the race. Bastianelli who won both KOM sprints secured the win in the KOM ranking and was caught by the bunch once the riders were back on the island.
The race ended up in a sprint and was perfectly led-out by HTC-Highroad for Ina Teutenberg. Next month the World Cup continues in Spain for the GP Valladolid (5th June).
"It was a tricky last kilometre but I got the perfect lead-out in the last part of the race," Teutenberg said later.
"There was a bridge with 300 metres to go where you had to have enough speed in the leadout train otherwise someone could jump ahead of you. But my team-mates made it so fast that really nobody could come by us."
Teutenberg's latest victory is also HTC-Highroad's first of the season in a World Cup, which she described as "perfect."
"It was very cool, too, that Charlotte could hold off the bunch and make it onto the podium as well, the whole race had been perfect team-work. I'm very pleased."
Teutenberg said it had "always been pretty clear it was going to come down to a bunch sprint. It wasn't very windy and there were a couple of attacks, but it was difficult for anybody to get away.
"My team-mates put everything into that bunch sprint happening and all I had to do was sprint in the last couple of hundred metres."
Result (top 30)
1. Ina Yoko Teutenberg Team HTC-Highroad Women 03:36:34
2. Elizabeth Armitstead Team Garmin - Cervélo ý
3. Charlotte Becker Team HTC-Highroad Women
4. Annemiek Van Vleuten Nederland Bloeit
5. Rasa Leleivyte Vaiana - Solaristech
6. Monia Baccaile Mcipollini-Giordana
7. Romy Kasper Kuota Speed Kueens
8. Rochelle Gilmore Lotto Honda Team
9. Giorgia Bronzini Forno D’Asolo Colavita
10. Isabelle Soderberg Alriksson Go:Green
11. Sara Mustonen Team Hitec Products Uck
12. Jutatip Maneephan Thailand National Team
13. Sarah-Lena Hofmann German National Team
14. Emma Johansson Team Hitec Products Uck
15. Alessandra Dettorre Forno D’Asolo Colavita
16. Cherise Taylor Lotto Honda Team
17. Marta Bastianelli Mcipollini-Giordana
18. Yiu Wong Wan Giant Pro Cycling
19. Coryn Rivera USA National Team
20. Rossella Callovi Mcipollini-Giordana
21. Janneke Kanis Nederland Bloeit
22. Hee Jung Son South Korean National Team
23. Evgenia Romanyuta Russian National Team
24. Olena Sharpa Ukranian National Team
25. Barbara Guarischi Forno D’Asolo Colavita
27. Victoria Kondel Russian National Team
28. Lucy Martin Team Garmin - Cervélo ý
29. Johanne Bergseth Team Hitec Products Uck
30. Laura Fouquet Kuota Speed Kueens
Celebrating our tenth year!
Support the Daily Peloton