March 14: Stage 4: Foligno-Montelupone 171 km
1500 CEST -
We join the race in progress with 30 km to go, with the two
final climbs of Montelupone. Cheula, Palumbo, Coppel, Tschopp and Sapa
are the five leaders... Sapa has been dropped off the front. Still four
leaders: Cheula (Barloworld), Tschopp (Bbox), Palumbo (Acqua Sapone) and
Coppel (FDJ) are the leaders. The boys of Diquigiovanni for Rebellin are
leading the pace together with Petacchi's LPR. It seems that Di Luca wants
to prove something as well.
The race got under way this after noon in Foligno without Thor Hushovd
of Cervelo Test Team and Sijmens of Cofidis. Our escapees attacke on the
climb of the Passo del Cornello with Coppel, Cheula and Tschopp who were
chased by Palumbo. Palumbo joined the three as Polish champion Sapa
followed with a counter attack to bridge to the four leaders.
graphic © 2009 Gazzetta dello Sport
Sapa was successful in joining the leaders at 66 km and our lead
quintet had 4:30 on the peloton with the lime green and blue jerseys of
Liquigas leading the chase. The gap would approach 5 minutes, but it
wasn't long before the chase bore fruit and the gap started to fall. With
120 km into the race the gap was down to 2:40 after three hours of racing.
As we approached the final circuits in Montelupone at the meta
volante in Recanati the quartets gap was below 30 seconds with Cheula
leading through for the max points followed by Tschopp, Palumbo, and
Coppel. Behind Lampre's Sapa is about to be caught by the lead group of 50
chasers ked by Diquigiovanni were hot on the wheels of the five.
Stage 4 profile:
graphic © 2009 Gazzetta dello Sport
the Montelupone is a very steep climb with parts up to 17%, last year
the stage was won by Joaquim Rodriguez of Caisse d'EpargneD'Epargne. Actually the
climb is nothing short of brutal, you may remember pictures from last year
of lots of riders
even having to get off their bikes to walk up the climb. The four leaders have 20 seconds on the
bunch. We have three leaders left as Palumbo has is dropped, behind the bunch
is about 40 riders strong.
24 km to go - LPR in the lead of
the chase, the riders are riding in the beautiful area in Italy called The
Marche very hilly, its up and down and not much in between. In the
break Tschopp is the only rider who has won already this year. In January
Tschopp won a stage in the Tropicale Amissa Bongo.
the Montelupone is a monster with an average of 12% with peaks up to 18-21%.
Cofidis' Frenchman, Julien El Fares of Algerian origin is still the
leader. He has a lead of 15 seconds on the sprinters Petacchi, Bennati and
Rossi. but for sure we will see some other riders today like Lövkvist, Di Luca,
Rodriguez, Gasparotto, Gerdemann, Basso, Rebellin, and certainly we4 can't
forget Stefano Garzelli who has been a constant protagonist in the race.
in 3 kilometers the riders will start the climb of the Montelupone for the
first time; they will do almost the whole climb except of the final 150-200
meters; where they turn left to make a loop before returning on the Lupone to
battle for the stage win and the overall lead.
1723 CEST - They are now on the Montelupone. Diquigiovanni takes the lead
with Ginanni, Scarponi, Rebellin and Simoni. Di Luca and Garzelli up there too.
We also see Nibali and Klöden.
Stefano Garzelli (Acqua & Sapone/Caffe Mokambo) attacks the climb.
The pace has trimmed the bunch down to about 30 riders strong. last years
stage winner is in the group too. They are almost at the top of the first time
Montelupone with Gibo Simoni setting the pace. race leader Julien El Fares still
hanging on there.
The bunch is down to about 10-15 riders as Gerdemann goes out the back with
14 km to go as the group goes over the top. Behind the first group grows to
about 20 riders. The dropped riders are almost standing still, we are waiting
for the first who have to walk.
El Fares still in the first bunch, looking comfortable; the young Frenchman
is doing well and a revelation of this year's Tirreno.
The group with favorites is again getting bigger. about 30 riders now as they
rejoin on the descent.
1633 CEST - 10 km to go, the pace
in the bunch is set by Simoni (Diquigiovanni) and the LPR boys in their
distinctive gray & green kits.
Filippo Pozzato (Katusha) Attacks! Pozzato gets company of a LPR guy but the
bunch isn't far
6 km to go, Pozzato, Van Avermaet and the LPR guy in front now, it's Daniele Pietropolli. The bunch continues to be led by Diquigiovanni for team
captain Rebellin at 3 seconds... the race will be decided on the final climb and
favors the strong finishing talents of the Italian on an uphill sprint.
Daniele Pietropolli suffers for his earlier attacks climbing alongside of Caruso
Giampaolo with Vincenzo Nibali following.
The three have been caught. 5 km to go...
3.5 km to go - The Gianni Savio boys are
increasing the pace, were almost at the second ascent of the Montelupone, now
Columbia-Highroad takes the command of the front for Lövkvist.
2 km to go - Diquigiovanni takes over as they are at the start of the
climb... the battle begins. Hincapie sets the pace with Lövkvist in his wheel.
Sergey Lagutin of Vacansoleil in third wheel. the pressure is thinning the lead
group, El Fares continues to hang on with the pace; no action yet as Hincapie
still leads the pace.
final kilometer with the steeper parts to come - attack Lövkvist, Rebellin
responds. Scarponi too, Di Luca in fourth position - Basso, Gerdemann and
Joaquim Rodriguez attacks now; can he win this prestigious stage for the
second time in a row? Rodriguez has a gap on Rebellin. Rebellin cant bridge up.
Rodriguez is going strong flying away from the others the gap increases.
Rebellin in second and Lövkvist in third, 200 meters to go its a terrible
steep climb as riders look stopped in slow motion...
100 meter... And the winner of the stage is
JOAQUIN RODRIQUEZ Wins !!!
The Caisse d'Epargned'Epargne rider was untouchable at 500 meters
Joaquín Rodriguez wins stage 4 solo.
Rebellin second at six seconds, Lövkvist third at :10, Di Luca showing strong
at :14, Garzelli fifth. El Fares in top 10 at 21 seconds. Winning time 4:08:35
with a average of 41.27 km/h.
Davide Rebellin passes Danilo Di Luca on the first pass of the brutal climb to
finish second... Young race leader El Fares can be seen behind the two veterans.
Rodriguez is also the new leader; what a day for the Spanish Caisse d'Epargne team in
both Paris Nice and Tirreno Adriatico the stage win and the leaders jersey!
Top North American was the master of consistency Canadian Ryder Hesjedal
(Garmin/Slipstream) in for 7th place (7th G.C,.); whilst the top Brit is Daniel
Lloyd at 28th.(29th G.C.)
With tomorrows 30 km time trial to come Swede Thomas Lövkvist is in the best
position to take the G.C. With the top 20 riders within one minute of each
other we are about to see a shakeup of the G.C. with a 4 km climb at the end of
the time trial.
Thanks for joining us for the final drama on the Montelupone..
March 15 – Stage 5: Loreto-Macerata 30km ITT
March 16 – Stage 6: Civitanova Marche-Cemerino 235 km
March 17 – Stage 7: S. Banedetto-S. Banedetto 169 km
Asmiling second time winner, Joaquím Rodriguez. A banner day as
Caisse d'Epargne dominated the news as Luis Leon Sanchez won the stage in Paris
- Nice with both Caisse riders taking the leaders jerseys on the same day.
44th Tirreno-Adriatico Results Stage 4
Foligno - Montelupone
171 km - 4:08:35 - 41.273 km/H
1. Rodriguez Oliver Joaquin Esp Caisse d'Epargne 4.08'35 0 10
2. Rebellin Davide Ita Sda Diquigiovanni/Androni 0'06 6
3. Lovkvist Thomas G Swe Thr Columbia - High 0'10 4
4. Di Luca Danilo Ita Lpr Lpr Brakes - Farnese Vini 0'14
5. Garzelli Stefano Ita Asa Acqua & Sapone - Caffe' Mok 0'21
6. 94 El Fares Julien G FraCof Cofidis le Credit En 0'21
7. 135 Hesjedal Ryder Can Grm Garmin - Slipstream 0'21
8. 34 Kloden Andreas Ger Ast Astana 0'21
9. Scarponi Michele Ita Sda Diquigiovanni/Androni 0'21
10. Nibali Vincenzo G Ita Liq Liquigas 4.08'56 0'21
11. Pietropolli Daniele Ita Lpr Lpr Brakes - Farnese Vini 0'32
12. Basso Ivan Ita Liq Liquigas 4.09'07 0'32
13. Caruso Giampaolo Ita Flm Ceramica Flaminia Bossini 0'32
14. Vaugrenard Benoit Fra Fdj Française Des Jeux 0'40
15 Valjavec Tadej Slo Alm Ag2r La Mondiale 0'42
16. Wegmann Fabian Ger Mrm Milram 0'42
17. Lagutin Sergey Uzb Vac Vacansoleil
18. Gerdemann Linus Ger Mrm Milram 4.09'20 0'45
19. Devenyns Dries Bel Qst Quickstep 4.09'25 0'50
20. Van Summeren Johan Bel Sil Silence - Lotto 0'50
21 Capecchi Eros G Ita Fuj Fuji - Servetto 4.09'25 0'50
22. Sivtsov Kanstantsin Blr Thr Columbia - HighRoad 0'50
23. Landaluze Intxaurraga I Esp Eus Euskaltel/Euskadi 0'58
24. Schleck Andy G Lux Sax Saxo Bank 1'02
25. Bazayev Assan Kaz Ast Astana 1'05
26. Tosatto Matteo Ita Qst Quickstep 1'08
27. Pozzato Filippo Ita Kat Katusha 1'14
28. Lloyd Daniel Gbr Ctt Cervelo Test 1'16
29. glinskiy Maxim Kaz Ast Astana 1'21
30. Van Avermaet Greg G Bel Sil Silence/Lotto 1'26
31. Simoni Gilberto Ita Sda Diquigiovanni/Androni 1'34
32. Gesink Robert G Ned Rab Rabobank 1'36
33. Kessiakoff Fredrik Swe Fuj Fuji - Servetto 1'38
34. Hincapie George Usa Thr Columbia - High Road
35. 61 Arroyo Duran David Esp Gce Caisse d'Epargne 2'05
Complete Stage Four Results Pdf.
General Classification After Stage Four
667 km - 16 :09:1 - 41,29Km/h
1. Rodriguez Oliver Joaquin Esp Caisse d'Epargne
2. El Fares Julien G FraCof Cofidis le Credit 0'06
3. Rebellin Davide Ita Sda Diquigiovanni - Androni 0'10
4. Lovkvist Thomas G Swe Thr
Columbia - High Road 0'16
5. Di Luca Danilo Ita Lpr Lpr Brakes - Farnese Vini 0'24
6. Nibali Vincenzo G Ita Liq Liquigas 16.09'41 0'31
7. Hesjedal Ryder Can Grm Garmin - Slipstream 0'31
8. Garzelli Stefano Ita Asa Acqua & Sapone - Caffe' 0'31
9. Kloden Andreas Ger Ast Astana 16.09'41 0'31
10.Scarponi Michele Ita Sda Diquigiovanni - Androni 0'31
11.Pietropolli Daniele Ita Lpr Lpr Brakes - Farnese Vini 0'42
12. Basso Ivan Ita Liq Liquigas 16.09'52 0'42
13. Caruso Giampaolo Ita Flm Ceramica Flaminia Bossini 0'42
14. Wegmann Fabian Ger Mrm Milram 0'52
15. Gerdemann Linus Ger Mrm Milram 0'55
16. Devenyns Dries Bel Qst Quickstep 1'00
17. Ita Capecchi Eros G Ita Fuj Fuji - Servetto 1'00
18. Blr Siutsou Kanstantsin Blr Thr Columbia - High Road 1'00
19. Van Summeren Johan Bel Sil Silence - Lotto 1'00
20. Landaluze Intxaurraga I Esp Eus Euskaltel/Euskadi 1'08
21. Schleck Andy G Lux Sax Saxo Bank 16.10'22 1'12
22. Bazayev Assan Kaz Ast Astana 16.10'25 1'15
23. Pozzato Filippo Ita Kat Katusha 1'24
24. Gesink Robert G Ned Rab Rabobank 1'46
25. Hincapie George Usa Thr Columbia - Highroad 1'48
26. Kessiakoff Fredrik Swe Fuj Fuji - Servetto 1'48
27. Lagutin Sergey Uzb Vac Vacansoleil 1'59
28. Arroyo Duran David Esp Gce Caisse d'Epargne 2'15
29. Lloyd Daniel Gbr Ctt Cervelo Test 2'30
30. Van Avermaet Greg Silence/Lotto 2'40
Complete General Classification Results Pdf.
Kom - Gran Premio Della Montagna
1. Capelli Ermanno G Ita Fuj Fuji -
2. El Fares Julien FraCof Cofidis le Credit En 5
3. Rebellin Davide Ita Sda Diquigiovanni/Androni 5
4. Simoni Gilberto Ita Sda Diquigiovanni/Androni 5
5. Cheula Giampaolo Ita Bar Barloworld 5
6. Westra Lieuwe Ned Vac Vacansoleil 5
7. Scarponi Michele Ita Sda Diquigiovanni/Androni 5
8. 15 Ita Garzelli Stefano Ita Asa Acqua & Sapone/Caffe' Mok 4
9. 121 Fra Coppel Jerome G Fra Française Des Jeux
10 Pol Sapa Marcin Pol Lam Lampre - Ngc 3
KOM Rankings After Stage Four
Meta Volante - Sprint Points Classification
1. El Fares Julien G FraCof Cofidis le Credit 22
2. Petacchi Alessandro Ita Lpr Lpr Brakes/Farnese Vini 19
3. Bennati Daniele Ita Liq Liquigas 18
4. Rossi Enrico Ita Flm Ceramica Flaminia Bossini Docce 17
5. Duma Vladimir Ukr Flm Ceramica Flaminia Bossini Docce 13
6. Boonen Tom Bel Qst Quickstep 13
7. Rodriguez Oliver Joaquin Esp Caisse d'Epargne 12
8. Farrar Tyler G Usa Grm Garmin - Slipstream 12
9. Krivtsov Yuriy Ukr Alm Ag2r La Mondiale 10
10. Rebellin Davide Ita Sda Diquigiovanni/Androni 10
Meta Volante Sprint Points Rankings Pdf.
11.Classifica Giovanni - Best Young Rider
667 km - 16.09'16- 41.29 Km/H
1. El Fares Julien FraCof Cofidis le Credit En
2. Lovkvist Thomas Swe Thr Columbia - High Road
3. Nibali Vincenzo Ita Liq Liquigas 0'25
4. Capecchi Eros Ita Fuj Fuji - Servetto 0'54
5. Schleck Andy Lux Sax Saxo Bank 1'06
6 Gesink Robert Ned Rab Rabobank 1'40
7. Van Avermaet Greg Bel Sil Silence - Lotto 2'34
8 Coppel Jerome Fra Fdj Française Des Jeux 3'39
9. Agnoli Valerio Ita Liq Liquigas 16.15'49 6'33
10. Frohlinger Johannes Ger Milram 7'42
Complete Young Guns Rankings Pdf.
- Discuss this & the sport with cycling fans from around the
world on the Daily Peloton.com
Forums and Chat Room.
- Sponsor the daily peloton - advertise your product - contact
- Do you have a passion for cycling and writing about the sport? contact us.