The 8th edition of the Brixia Tour, a five-day stage race going in the Brescia (a city on the eastern side of Lombardy, whose Latin name was Brixia) area of Italy, got kickstarted Wednesday, with the first half of the opening leg consisting of a road stage of 140 kilometres (it was shortened by some 15 km due to a road accident) from Rottofreno to Orzinuovi. In fact few were surprised as, despite all attacks coming especially in the last 40 kilometres, things came down to a massive sprint won by Lampre's well-known - and Brescia-based - fastman Danilo Napolitano from the other quick "home rider", Mattia Gavazzi of Preti Mangimi, with Tinkoff's Bernardo Riccio in third place. Napolitano got back to victory after five months, and after going through some hard times, a poor performance at Tour de Suisse included. His work is finally starting to bear fruit, and the sprinter and his team bosses hope that Danilo can get in full form for the Vuelta a Espaņa.
Stage one is going to be completed tonight by a suggestive Team TT of 12.3 kilometres to be held in downtown Brescia.
Stage 1A (Bakio to Bakio, 140.5 km): Top 10 Places
1. NAPOLITANO, Danilo (Ita - LAMPRE) - 03h35'10" (Time Bonus: 06")
2. GAVAZZI, Mattia (Ita - PRETI MANGIMI-PRISMA) - s.t. (04")
3. RICCIO, Bernardo (Ita - TINKOFF CREDITS SYSTEM) - s.t. (02")
4. CADAMURO, Simone (Ita - NIPPO-ENDEKA) - s.t.
5. BALDUCCI, Gabriele (Ita - ACQUA SAPONE-MOKAMBO) - s.t.
6. CORIONI, Claudio (Ita - LIQUIGAS) - s.t.
7. VIGANO', Davide (Ita - QUICK STEP) - s.t.
8. LORIA, Domenico (Ita - KATAI CYCLING TEAM) - s.t.
9. FUMAGALLI, Cristiano (Ita - FLAMINIA-BOSSINI) - s.t.
10. FERRARI, Roberto (Ita - LPR BRAKES-BALLAN) - s.t.
* full results here (pdf file)
8th Brixia Tour: GC after Stage 1A - Top 10 Places
1. NAPOLITANO, Danilo (Ita - LAMPRE) - 03h35'04"
2. GAVAZZI, Mattia (Ita - PRETI MANGIMI-PRISMA) - at 02"
3. SAVOLDELLI, Paolo (Ita - LPR BRAKES-BALLAN) - at 03"
4. RICCIO, Bernardo (Ita - TINKOFF CREDITS SYSTEM) - at 04"
5. BORISOV, Wladislav (Rus - AMORE & VITA-Mc Donald's) - at 04"
6. FERRARA, Raffaele (Ita - LPR BRAKES-BALLAN) - at 05"
7. CADAMURO, Simone (Ita - NIPPO-ENDEKA) - at 06"
8. BALDUCCI, Gabriele (Ita - ACQUA SAPONE-MOKAMBO) - at 06"
9. CORIONI, Claudio (Ita - LIQUIGAS) - at 06"
10. VIGANO', Davide (Ita - QUICK STEP) - at 06"
* full standings after stage 1A here (pdf file)
The night-time Team TT in Brescia was dominated by Holland's Skil Shimano. The boys led by Rudi Kemna covered the route in a great time of 15 minutes 05 seconds, beating NGC Medical-OTC Doors by 14 seconds with the Milra-men taking third in 15'25". As a result, we got two Japanese riders in the top two spots overall: Yusuke Hatanaka leads the race from teammate Yukihiro Doi, with Dutchboy Albert Timmer as best of the rest. Lampre didn't place higher than 10th in the (half) stage, losing 35" to the winners, and Napolitano dropped to spot number 38 in the GC, currently trailing the Japanese leader(s) by 27 seconds.
Clement Lhotellerie in his polka-dot days at Paris-Nice. The young Frenchman,
a more than likely addition to the Caisse d'Epargne roster the next season,
won the KOM classification in this year's "Race to the Sun". He's 4th on GC at Brixia.
The race continues Thursday with a stage of 157.4 kilometres from Buffalora to Toscolano Maderno.
Stage 1B (Brescia TTT, 12.3 km): Top 5 Places
1. SKIL SHIMANO - 15'05"
2. NGC MEDICAL-OTC DOORS - at 14"
3. TEAM MILRAM - at 20"
4. QUICK STEP - at 23"
5. TINKOFF CREDITS SYSTEM - at 24"
8th Brixia Tour: GC after Stage 1B - Top 5 Places
1. HATANAKA, Yusuke (Jap - Skil-Shimano) - 03h50'15"
2. DOI, Yukihiro (Jap - Skil-Shimano) - s.t.
3. TIMMER, Albert (Hol - Skil-Shimano) - s.t.
4. LHOTELLERIE, Clement (Fra - Skil-Shimano) - s.t.
5. ROOIJAKKERS, Piet (Jap - Skil-Shimano) - s.t.