Team Liquigas in the winning action. Photo © Fotoreporter Sirotti
After Francesco Chicchi ruled the sprint in the morning, the mighty boys of
Liquigas rode to glory in the second half of the day's leg too. As
"promised " by their team manger Mario Chiesa in earlier interviews, the
Tuscan rider's success helped the whole squad find the right motivation and
put up a great performance in order to win the cronosquadre (Team TT)
of 11.4 kilometres around Misano Adriatico, setting a better time than Acqua &
Sapone by two seconds, with Tinkoff, Astana and Lotto following in the next
top places. And averaging a sensational 54,392 km/h.
Second place Aqua & Sapone team. Photo © Fotoreporter Sirotti
Needless to say, Chicchi strengthened his grip on the overall leader's
jersey (with five teamates of his - one of whom is the legendary Andrea Noé -
as closest "challengers" half a dozen seconds behind him on GC) and, as if it
wasn't enough, firmly stays atop the Points ranking. At his turn, fellow
Italian Matteo Montaguti of LPR Brakes held onto the King of the Mountain
classification leadership, while another Liqui-guy, Dario Cataldo, wears the
maglia arancione (orange jersey) reserved for the best young - as in
"born in the year 1985 or later" - rider.
Tinkoff riding in a tight formation finished third. Photo © Fotoreporter Sirotti
Astana a solid ride for 4th place. Photo © Fotoreporter Sirotti
The peloton is going to be back in the saddle tomorrow for the 175.6 km.
tappa from the spa resort of Castel San Pietro Terme to Faenza.
Stage 2 profile
Liquigas team accepts their trophy on the podium. Photo © Fotoreporter Sirotti
10th Coppi & Bartali Stage 1b Results
Misano Adriatico - TTT, 11.4 km)
1. Liquigas - 13'01"
2. Acqua & Sapone-Caffé Mokambo - 13'03"
3. Tinkoff Credit System - 13'04"
4. Astana - 13'09"
5. Silence-Lotto - 13'10"
6. Ceramica Flaminia-Bossini Docce - 13'11"
7. LPR Brakes - 13'12"
8. Gerolsteiner - 13'13"
9. CSF Group-Navigare - 13'14"
10. Adria Mobil - 13'15"
11. Lampre - 13'18"
12. Serramenti PVC Diquigiovanni-Androni Giocattoli - 13'20"
Stefano Garzelli in his beautifully painted helmet. Photo © Fotoreporter Sirotti
10th Settimana Int. Coppi & Bartali - GC after Stage 2: Top 10
1. CHICCHI, Francesco (Ita - LIQUIGAS) - 02h17'12"
2. NIBALI, Vincenzo (Ita - LIQUIGAS) - at 06"
3. CATALDO, Dario (Ita - LIQUIGAS) - at 06"
4. NOE', Andrea (Ita - LIQUIGAS) - at 06"
5. VANOTTI, Alessandro (Ita - LIQUIGAS) - at 06"
6. WEGELIUS, Charles (GBR - LIQUIGAS) - at 06"
7. PAOLINI, Luca (Ita - ACQUA & SAPONE-MOKAMBO) - at 08"
8. PIERFELICI, Luca (Ita - ACQUA & SAPONE-MOKAMBO) - at 08"
9. GARZELLI, Stefano (Ita - ACQUA & SAPONE-MOKAMBO) - at 08"
10. FAILLI, Francesco (Ita - ACQUA & SAPONE-MOKAMBO) - at 08"
Full GC after stage 2 available
Settimana Coppi & Bartali - Stage 1a
Discuss this race and the sport with other cycling fans from around the world on
the Daily Peloton.com Forums
and Chat Room. Sponsor the daily peloton &
advertise your product or service to cyclists and cycling fans on